hunted interior

DIY Spotted Drapery

You all know by now that I am a sucker for spots... I have been dying for some spotted drapery panels for a while, but was so bummed when Premiere Prints dropped their Togo pattern.  It was by far the best & most affordable option.  Especially for the amount of yardage needed for drapery.  That's when a little lightbulb went off over my head!  I've painted drapery before... I could certainly do it again.  I contacted Royal Design Studio & voiced my need for a spectacular spotted stencil & they agreed to create one!  The best part is we were able to play with the spot design & make them a little more animal like vs ovals.  A nice hybrid between Thaibut's & Premiere Prints.

As soon as the stencil was approved, they sent it my way & I got to work!  These beauties take some time... but are so worth it in the end.  My favorite part about this stencil is the fact that it is so organic that if you get crooked or happen to spill or smudge the paint, you can simply reposition the stencil or add an extra spot.  Foolproof I tell ya!

Stencil
Black Acrylic Craft Paint
Textile Medium (optional)
Stencil Brush

I used the Ritva Ikea Drapery Panels this go around.  I liked the canvas look of our chevron drapes, but not the grommets hence the switch.  These also have a linen look which is a nice change as well.  I also added a little textile medium from the craft store in with my acrylic paint to soften the crunch factor.  Our chevron drapes are so stiff they literally stand on their own! Luckily, now I know textile medium exists.  Live & learn...

I completed four panels with two 8 fl. oz. bottles of craft store acrylic paint with just a drop or two to spare.  And like the last time (remember this project?!?) I used my Martha Stewart Stencil Brushes from Michaels.

Want to know the best part??!  This stencil is now available from Royal Design Studio Stencils!

___________________________________________________

Just a few days left to vote for the Lamps Plus Favorite Home Blog Awards!!  I'd really appreciate a little love in the Interior Design Category... if you'd like you can vote here<<<<<<<
or simply click on the Lamps Plus badge on my sidebar.

You can vote daily too! xoxo

Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus

28 comments:

1. Love this change! And, congrats on becoming a world-famous stencil designer :)

ReplyDelete
  2. These are so gorgeous! LOVE! I shared your stunning brass trunk on my blog today. You can check it out here: http://www.goodwillglam.com/2013/11/latest-greatest-find-project-sneak-peek.html
    Best,
    Krista
    www.goodwillglam.com

3. Pam @ Simple DetailsNovember 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Wow, Kristin, I've always loved that pattern! As they say, "Ask and you shall receive!" Way to go, thanks for the inspiration!

ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristin... I love this and love your pictures even more!

ReplyDelete
  5. They're absolutely gorgeous! Yay for designing an awesome stencil for the rest of us to use too! :D

ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful...and so you! What a fun and creative venture to design your own stencil...and produce such fabulous results!

7. cassie {hi sugarplum}November 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Love love love love!!! And your styling and photography skills are killing it, too!!!!

ReplyDelete
  8. These are such cool curtains! I'd love to try this out on a rug, too. Super fun project - pinning now. :)

ReplyDelete
  9. What a FABULOUS project! I will be using this very soon!

Rachel
    www.pinkflamingostyle.com

10. Jennifer@TheChroniclesofHomeNovember 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Awesome! Love the black and white - wait, do you like B&W?? ;) - and the pattern is spot on (couldn't help myself there). But seriously, it is.

ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this looks amazing! So inspiring!

ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Kristin - you're my hero! I wrote to you awhile back about the gold dresser used in the rehab project and lamented the loss of Togo fabric in our exchange. This is GENIUS! I'm also planning on using the Thibault wallpaper in my office reno, but I'd much rather stencil as it's easier to change. Love you forever for this. Mean it.

ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! What is the branch/tree clipping that you have in the vase. I love the weight and color. :)

14. Laura Stutzman House EnvyNovember 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

wow! That is a perfect solution to a fabric discontinued!! I love the spots to and the pattern looks stunning on the white walls!!

Laura

ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great idea..especially to add something fun to my bland apt. walls! (and wouldn't mind another trip to ikea :)

ReplyDelete
  16. Always such a good idea! Love this idea for the hostess. Big Hugs doll! xo @ Waiting on Martha

ReplyDelete
  17. Came out great! I did stenciled curtains for my mom a while back.
    Tedious process, but love the results!

ReplyDelete
  18. You can never go wrong with a monogram!

19. Rachel {Love This Life}November 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Love a good monogram. C.Wonder and Mark & Graham always have great options!!

ReplyDelete
  20. I love a monogram as well! These are all great hostess gifts!

Rachel
    www.pinkflamingostyle.com

ReplyDelete
  21. Love the curtains but also love that floral throw pillow! Can you tell me where it's from?

ReplyDelete
  22. Monograms are my favorite. Such a classy hostess gift too!

ReplyDelete
  23. Your drapes look amazing...I am obsessed with spots too! Fab job!

ReplyDelete
  24. Black + white + spots= you can never go wrong!! They look amazing and how awesome that you got to create it! So awesome!

ReplyDelete
  25. Wow great tutorial, will give this a go. I love your gold mirror - where did you get that please?

26. Julia @cuckoo4designNovember 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I just love this so much. I need some more Cheetah spots in my life too!

ReplyDelete
  27. Those look super duper fly girl, way to get after it!

ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always love feedback on what my lovely readers { like you } are thinking. Feel free to ask any questions or you can always email me at thehuntedinterior@gmail.com

K