hunted interior

Butterfly Nightstand

Well, my little girl is growing up.  How did that happen?!?  Sooner rather than later she will be escaping her crib (literally) so we want to be prepared for a quick room transition.  I'm going to be completing a few small projects over the next few months so when she is ready, we will be too.

I had an idea to update a nightstand we've had in our attic.  DECOUPAGE! Yep.  I haven't done this since I was in the Girl Scouts.  But if I could do it at age 6, surely I could do it now.  With age comes wisdom, right?!

It all started with this beauty.  It was last painted 3+ years ago with who knows what!  I will admit... I vaguely remember painting this with something random I had on hand.  This was before I started really getting into DIY projects.  Unfortunately, I had to sand all of this off.  If you want it right... It's going to take time.  

After sanding, I applied a coat of spray primer, followed by two coats of gloss white spray paint.  I also applied two coats of a clear spray sealer to ensure I didn't mess anything up before the decoupage started.  That would be my luck to get it painted and then scratch it before I really started!

Once I had my clean white blank canvas, I needed my decoupage tools:

  • Butterflies:  I downloaded, printed & cut out a bunch of butterfly images I found on a Google Image search.  { TIP:  When cutting out images move the paper around, not the scissors.  This will allow you to get a more detailed cut. }
  • DIY Decoupage Glue: 1 part Elmer's Glue All to 1 part water.  That's it!  If you want to use Elmer's School Glue use 2 parts glue to 1 part water.
  • Foam Brush
  • Razor or Xacto Knife
Decoupage couldn't be easier.  All you have to do is brush on the glue, directly on the furniture, place your image on and then brush over it again with the glue... Really, that is it!  If your piece has curved edges, or details like mine did, just use your fingers to push the image into all the crevices.  If you try using some other tool, be forewarned it may tear the paper.  I used the razor to cut the images where I had them overlapping the drawers.

Honestly, the hardest part of this project was determining the butterfly layout...& when to stop!  Be sure to take a step back & look at your piece while you are working.  

I finished the project with a brush on Clear Gloss Polyurethane.  This will help protect the painted finish as well as the butterflies.  I choose a brush on for this step because it will protect so much better than a spray.  (Trust me on this one!)

I added the Anthropologie knobs that were originally adorning the drawers before.  They even look better now!  All in all this project cost a whopping $8.43.  (You are rethinking some of your furniture right now aren't you?)  Even though I did have a lot of these supplies on hand it is still a really economical way to add a custom look to your home.

It's Link Party time @ Home Stories A to Z!  Come see all the great new Tutorials & Tips.

Cheers- K
Pin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google Plus


  1. This is way too cute Kristin! I can't wait to see what her rooms looks like when it's finished. Hope all is well!

  2. I'm visiting from Tatertots & Jello. This is such a cute and whimsical side table. I love the butterflies. Beautiful.

  3. How sweet and whimsical! I love it! The colors are so bright! I'd love if you would link it up to my party!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I always love feedback on what my lovely readers { like you } are thinking. Feel free to ask any questions or you can always email me at