As requested, I am posting my recipe for Red Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. I made all of the treats above for my friends Sugar & Spice themed baby shower. I wanted the cupcakes to reflect the theme without being obvious... like a Spice Cake. They are based on Mexican Hot Chocolate, but I had so many people tell me they taste like Red Hots. Hence the new name. The cupcakes do have a little back heat, but they are not HOT! (If you are in a hurry, you can make this using any Chocolate Cake Mix. Just add the Cayenne & Cinnamon.)
Red Hot Chocolate Cake:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper and cinnamon; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. (22 minutes is always perfect in my oven.)
- Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2 cups of butter, softened
- 7 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- In a bowl cream rom temperature butter until smooth.
- Add in sugar in batches. Add milk in as needed. (You may need more than 2 tspns)
- Add the salt, cinammon and vanilla and beat for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- If adding in red food coloring, PLEASE use NO TASTE Red Coloring. 98% of all red food colorings contain a certain food dye that always tastes bitter. It will ruin all of your hard work. You get Wilton's No Taste Red Dye at Wal Mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby... basically anywhere that has cake supplies.